On This Day in 1989: Remembering The Hillsborough Disaster


It is 30 years since one of the darkest days in football.

On this day in 1989, 94 people tragically lost their lives during an FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forrest. Two more people later died from injuries, raising the total number of fatalities to 96.

The victims, Liverpool fans, died as a result of a crowd crush at Hillsborough stadium in Sheffield.

Police console Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish.
Police console Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish. Pic: Colorsport/REX/Shutterstock

A total of 766 fans were also injured. It is the worst disaster in British sporting history.

The crush is said to have happened because too many people were allowed into a stand that was already full.

With more than 2,000 Liverpool fans still waiting to enter the ground when the match kicked off, police ordered a gate to be opened due to the pressure of people outside. This lead to an influx of even more fans into the already packed stand.

The game was stopped after six minutes. Pic: Paul Marriott/REX/Shutterstock

The surge of people coming into the stand pushed those already inside forward, crushing them against the safety fences and each other.

Five minutes into the match, realising what was happening, a policeman ran onto the pitch and ordered the referee to stop the game.

Some fans broke out onto the pitch or climbed the safety fences to escape the crush. For many there was no escape.

Bodies were laid out on the pitch, advertising boards were used as improvised stretchers.

Men, women, and children as young as 10-years-old lost their lives.

An injured fan is carried across the pitch on an advertising hoarding by supporters and stewards. Pic: Colorsport/REX/Shutterstock

The Hillsborough disaster shocked the world. Memorial services were held in Liverpool, Sheffield and Nottingham.

The disaster prompted the introduction of new safety measures in English football, including the elimination of standing terraces.

Scenes at Anfield three days after the Hillsborough tragedy. Pic: Colorsport/REX/Shutterstock

The initial reaction of the police, to blame Liverpool fans for the tragedy, has been widely criticised.

Families of the victims have fought hard for justice over the years.

It has since been ruled that the supporters were unlawfully killed due to grossly negligent failures by police.










Source link